Wednesday, September 12, 2012

suc·cess, but not as defined by webster

Dictionary.com word of my day:
suc·cess/səkˈses/
Noun:
  1. The accomplishment of an aim or purpose.
  2. The attainment of popularity or profit.


But will this fulfill my life?

What is success?
Is it starting a career immediately after obtaining a degree to begin climbing the "latter of advancement"? Is it knowing the right people and namedropping at the appropriate times? Is it having the newest and best things? Clothes? Then why did we just walk away from all of that?
In faith, we both walked away from connections and places where we could have easily begun careers. In faith we left influential people that we knew in a certain place on the globe. In faith, we sold wedding gifts so we could support ourselves to go into discipleship training. In faith I sold boxes of my favorite clothing to a Haitian women at a nickel a shirt. In faith, we jumped on a plane with a one way ticket. Have I just slammed the back door of "success" behind me? Or is there more to success than what meets the eye?

I invite you to join me in my little quest for understanding in this realm...

King David, on his death bed imparted the secret of success to his son Solomon in I Kings 2:3 (NLT).
Observe the requirements of the Lord your God, and follow all his ways. Keep the decrees, commands, regulations, and laws written in the Law of Moses so that you will be successful in all you do and wherever you go.
Solomon followed his father's advise and saw GREAT success as the world defines it, but unfortunately became blinded by it all because he forgot Who it was all about. How can I avoid that mistake? And now that we're past the Law of Moses, and Jesus came to fulfill the law, what does this mean in my world today? How do I, in my early 20's find the success that God wants for my life?

When we look in the new testament for examples of success we find Hebrews 11. This chapter is fairly glittering with the successes of God's faithful servants. "What?? How can 'success' ever be in the same sentence as the word 'servant'?" Suddenly I realize I'm in for a serious view point change. John, in chapter 3 verses 29 and 30 says that "It is the bridegroom who marries the bride, and the best man is simply glad to stand with him and hear his vows. Therefore, I am filled with joy at his success. He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less."  So..it's not about my success. It's all about the success Jesus has in my life. Hebrews 11 is about the successes not that each individual found in their life, but the success the Holy Spirit had in their life. I encourage you to read this chapter and see what I mean. This chapter has a lot to say about faith and it seems that this was the key to their success. But what is it?
Heb. 11:1 (NLT)
"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see. "
Hope is given by the Holy Spirit...but how? Romans 10:17 (NLT) says, "So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ." 

Question to all: Do you get truly excited when you hear again how Jesus came to die for your sins to take them away so you could be completely TRANSFORMED? Romans 12:2a (NIV) backs this up with " Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Does it just BLOW YOUR MIND how because of Jesus, you are now headed towards heaven? Does that fact make you want to tell EVERYONE you meet the good news so they can experience this goodness as well? Part two of this verse says " Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." But what is his will? Refer to Rom. 12:1, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship." (emphasis added by myself)
It's that simple... but so complicated because life is naturally complicated.

Next important question: what do I hope for? 
My sincere hope is that I will learn to love like Jesus and to live how he wants me to live. I see so many holes in my life and room for improvement, BUT from a teacher's standpoint, that means I have that much more room to rejoice when I overcome those weaknesses through the power of Christ!

So now if I plug all these things in together I will understand that:
When I hear the Good News about Christ, I will have confidence that my hope to be more like Christ will come to pass. In becoming like Jesus I find true success.

Therefore, success is being willing to be whoever and do whatever the Holy Spirit prompts you to be and do in harmony with what scripture says.

Then, I laugh...because when the Holy Spirit shares glimmers of the answers of my questions, it all seems so simple. And maybe that's another key... to live simply to please God only, because if I have that down, then everything will fall into it's place.

"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame;
But wholly lean on Jesus' name;
On Christ the solid rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand." --Edward Mote

No comments:

Post a Comment