Saturday, March 16, 2013

Devadasi Retreat

This week has been very intense with the devadasi (temple prostitute) retreat. The schedule is very rigorous—but has been full of fruit. We have been working with a group from a church in New York and New Jersey. For 3 days, we have been hosting these women and their children at a convent so we can love on them and show them who Jesus is. Everyday they are feed by the word and get to worship with a famous gypsy worship leader named, Vinkatesh. Then we get to sit with them and do a little chatting (mainly through interpreters or body language :). We went to a village the day after the devadasi retreat to meet with 3 women, who all asked Jesus into their hearts.

Some Highlights: 

  • We were able to wash the women’s feet and feel the tangible presence of the holy spirit.
  • I held a woman who was sobbing into my arms prayed healing over her, that her broken heart would be mended.
  • Praying with the women who just received Jesus as their savior.
  • Playing games with the kids outside, and teaching them through drama and stories. 
  • Many women and children gave their hearts to Jesus this week! 
  • A cow walked in the living of the house in Chitradurga…highlight of my life…haha.

Quotes from the woman

“I have never experienced this kind of love before. I want to leave my
sins and follow Jesus.”

“I have experienced such kindness and love from these Christians. I
pray God continues to give me faith as I follow him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment