Sunday, April 21, 2013

*Sha-zam!* Instant Classroom!

CLICK HERE to go to the school web site :)


Last week  my post  discussed the winding path I had taken towards working as a teacher at an elementary school. It involved a lot of waiting and paperwork, but things still seemed unclear as to what I should do and where I would finally go. I ended with the statement, " God had just given me my marching orders and I knew exactly what I needed to do.." because of a phone call I had received about the timing of things.

The Vice Principal from a local school had called to show me the open door that was waiting at the end of hall full of closed doors, each one closed and opened exactly the way that God had wanted me to find them. I had been praying so hard that God would make it SUPER OBVIOUS where and what I should do.

Finally knowing a time frame that I was going to have to wait before I could officially be hired at the school (6-8 weeks for my background check) was the open door I needed to see so I could tell the Learning Center on the U of N campus I would be available to take the volunteer job as the full time 2nd grade teacher.

And so when I walked up to the campus and sat down with my boss, Kris, I was able to share with her what God had done to make it clear I could take on the 2nd grade class for the remainder of the school year (about 8 weeks). She called up Jo, the current 2nd grade teacher, to let her know that her prayers for a replacement had been answered so she would be free to do what she felt God was leading her to do, continue her education as a teacher at the Foundations in Education (FIE) on campus at the university. Kris, told me that Jo had begun to choke up while she was praising God and thanking her for her call. WE SERVE SUCH AN AWESOME GOD who arranges all the little impossible details in our lives. Jo, since then, has told me that she had all but given up on the idea of going to school this year. She couldn't imagine that anyone would be willing or even available to jump in for the last 8 weeks of school to teach her 2nd graders.

The Students at Ohana Court Monday morning corporate worship time
For me, this open door has become a HUGE blessing. I get the privilege of teaching with the most gracious and Spirit filled teachers I've ever met. Each one is teaching at the Learning Center because of their passion for teaching children about the character and nature of God in sync with core academic fundamentals. In the 2 weeks I've taught here I've learned more lessons personally that I could ever have imagined. One thing I've already learned here is how important it is to bring EVERYTHING to Jesus with my students. As a Christian school, and as a Christian school teacher if we aren't taking every opportunity to invite the Holy Spirit into each aspect of the day then we are cheating ourselves and our children out of watching what marvelous things God can do in a single school day. I am watching my second graders' faith grow just as I see mine growing; it's the most awe-inspiring process, and much like I'm literally watching God at work in me every single day I'm there.

My handsome hubster helping in the classroom
My view from the Judges' table of the
Campus wide Speech Competition
I am so blessed to be able to begin my life's experience as a teacher, at this little school that is barely 3 years old. I have had been met with enormous challenges as I've taken on this responsibility, but I've clearly seen the Holy Spirit at work in me giving me the strength and wisdom to carry out each task. The verse I continue quoting to myself is James 1:5.  
 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
 He has been so faithful to give me that wisdom, as I will be the very first to tell you how much I lack on my own.

International Day, celebrating nations around the world


So now until I receive clearance by the state to work in a public school, I get to teach a classroom of 12 adorable 2nd graders Monday through Friday. I'm finally a teacher!

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,thank you for sharing your story. It is so exciting to see how God has led every step of the way. Teaching is a special gift and blessing. I know you have a special gift to teach children and you are being such a blessing to them. They will love you. We are happy to have another teacher in the family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement! God is so faithful to be our ever present teacher... that is amazing to me! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete