Thursday, July 25, 2013

Good Things Come

If you would have asked me 2 years ago what we'd be doing today, I think I'd probably have given you a completely different picture from the one Jonathan and I are looking at today. This is a continuation of the story of God's faithfulness in our lives, and planting desires in our hearts that we might find our inheritance in the land to which the Lord has lead us.

A little over 4 months ago, we arrived back in the States from our outreach in India. A little over 4 months ago, I hit the ground running with the full intention of being plugged into the local school system so I could get a job as a teacher. A little less than 4 months ago, I realized that God might have other plans, so I put my dreams (that He had given me) back in His hands so I could go where He wanted me to be.

The past 2 months, since school has ended at the Learning Center, have turned out to be a crucible for me. No, I wasn't put through rigorous schooling, or crazy academic hurtles, but the Lord did ask me to wait... for something I couldn't put a name to.

If faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen, then I can honestly look back at the past 2 months and tell you that the Lord has held my hand and given me strength as I've walked the invisible tightrope of faith.

Pointless applications, voice mail boxes, dead ends and a messy school system have been the demons I've fought, wondering if I'm even supposed to be a teacher here. Does my degree count? What an absolutely terrifying question to find yourself asking, a question that sourced a few meltdowns that Jesus dried my tears through letting me know that He had called me to such a time, and such a purpose and had deliberately lead me on the path I have taken that happened to include a little Bible college in Florida.

I can't lie and tell you I've been stress free as I've walked this path, but I can tell you that the Joy of the Lord has been my STRENGTH, and he surrounded me with amazing people to encourage me and boost my faith, and give me courage I could not have found on my own.

Any Ed. Grads or future grads from Hobe Sound Bible College that happen to be reading this, know this: Mrs. (almost Dr.) Black is the most excellent Education Dept. chairperson and teacher IN THE WORLD and will champion your dreams to become a teacher even if she's on the other side of the world from her office. My respect and appreciation for her have swelled incredibly more so in the past few months. I can't show enough appreciation and thankfulness for her. 

So to quickly share the wonderful things that the Lord has done, in spite of this painful waiting process, I want give thanks for the way He weaves things together so perfectly, and gave me little decisions to make all the way through this process to position my heart in the place it needed to be in order for me to receive HIS BEST (because our Heavenly Father only gives His absolute best to his children :).

My version of what the future could or should look like has changed many times..

  1. I'm going to just work as teacher's aide!
  2. I'm going to sub for the first year here!
  3. Fine, I'll work at a coffee shop...
  4. Ok, I'll volunteer teach again.
  5. An opportunity to teach P.E.? Who's resume were they looking at?!
  6. They're offering me a half-time position as math enrichment teacher to me! Sure I'll write the curriculum!
  7. Holy Moly, I just got a call for an interview at my first choice of school for a 3rd grade class.
  8. So am I teaching math or am I a General teacher for some unknown grade??

Lucky for you, you just got to read that in like 30 seconds while it took the past 2 months for all that to unfurl for me.

But I have some very happy news to share with you...

God is giving me my dream back. He polished it up a bit while He was keeping it, and made a few changes as he's molded my heart to better reflect His. It hardly seems true...

I get to be a full time Kindergarten Teacher starting on Tuesday at the school on the mountain surrounded by coffee plantations. Just yesterday  God put this opportunity in my hands. Just yesterday, He proved that you can go crazy and leave all reality behind to chase the unknown and move to the nowhere and come up a year later doing the impossible. Teaching beautiful Hawaiian babies.


I am truly humbled by His abundant extravagant love. My desire for you is that you too would encounter the overwhelming love He FREELY offers you. Come and feast on what He sets on the table for you. 
It. Is. Delicious.


1 comment:

  1. Tears of joy and thankfulness!! Thank you for sharing this beautiful account of how faithful our Lord and Saviour is. So happy for you, Jennifer You will be a wonderful teacher! Love you.

    ReplyDelete