Saturday, November 10, 2012

Heart Surgery

So how do I sum up 2 of the most heart changing and life altering weeks of my life? Words really won't do it justice, but I hope the life I continue to live will support everything God has been doing in Jonathan and my lives personally and together while we've been here.

The Bible verse that we had read at our wedding was from Colossians 3.


12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.


We didn't know at the time, but since we've been here, God has been molding our lives to reflect exactly what is in this passage. I just realized that this week when our speaker, Eric Swanson-Dexel, had us open up to this passage together to discuss relationships within community. Then it hit me.

God revealed to us the first week how dearly loved we are as His children.

Since then, we can open our hearts to Him and freely to allow Him to mold us into people that are full of "compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience."

Forgiveness is such a defining part of who we are in Christ. Jesus died so our sins could be forgiven. We are people marked by forgiveness SO THAT we too can forgive others. What incredible freedom we find when at last we can forgive and seek forgiveness. I've had to make some difficult phone calls in the past couple weeks, because I realized that either I needed to seek forgiveness, or I needed to give it. Jesus is so faithful, and I can joyfully tell you today, that those relationships have been RESTORED because of the forgiveness Jesus offers. Wow!

Love. Love I've been learning is absolutely NOT a feeling. We feel good, we feel bad, we feel jittery, excited, or anxious, BUT we DO LOVE. I can say with all honesty that I love the dirty, scruffy, bedraggled man sitting on the corner of the drugstore with a sign for $$, so I tell him how he too can find true freedom from the bondage to drugs and alcohol BECAUSE of the LOVE Jesus gives. I have begun to ask the Holy Spirit to give me His heart about all these kinds of people so I can GET OVER MYSELF and learn to love those who need it the most.

It is the enemy's WORST NIGHTMARE for me to truly realize the person God designed me to be. As soon as I claim the purpose for which I was made, I step into my Father's amazing realm of light and love and immediately am propelled to share it with others BECAUSE of the JOY that I experience. I am a daughter of the King, and can have all power and authority in Jesus name, because of the blood that was shed and His resurrection power now flows through me. This is God's desire for you as well.

All this gives me such a beautiful peace. Peace in spite of the uncertainty of the times. Peace in spite of no paid job. Peace in spite of no for sure plans after our DTS. Peace that passes all understanding. I am nothing without the guiding hand of my Father and I would have absolutely nothing, and even my best attempts to become something and have everything would be meaningless without the knowledge of His guidance in my life. I have given it all away, because I can not keep it; in the process gaining everything that I cannot lose.

Lastly, my personal relationship with Jesus has become so rich and colorful. He whispers in my ear the meaning of what I'm reading in His word. He shows me which way I should go. He gives me the strength for the next temptation I'm going to face. I know that my hand is firmly held by his warm strong hand anytime I begin to stumble. He nudges me forward when I'm supposed to bold. He gives me confidence when I'm to let others take the lead. My walk with Jesus has transformed the way I look at every situation in my life. I know that I can sing a made up song of love and gratitude to Him and that He laughs full of delight when he hears me. I can utter I love you in a crowd and He catches those words up like candy rain. He brings new friends into my life to encourage me and build me up. He sends a good friend across my path when my eyes are brimming with tears and I really need a hug. Jesus loves me just like that. None of my life goes unnoticed, nor does yours. He is just waiting for you to grab His beautiful strong hand and ask for His help.

No comments:

Post a Comment